STUFFED BITTER GOURD RECIPE
- Bitter gourds 2 large
- Ghee 2 tbsp
To be fried, then powdered:
- Black gram dhal 3 tsp
- Coriander seeds 5 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
Grind to a fine paste:
- Dry red chilies 8
- Tamarind (size of a small lemon) 1 small ball
- Asafoetida (size of a tamarind seed) a little
- Salt to taste
- Wash the bitter gourds and cut into even round pieces.
- Remove only the seeds from the pulp, then stuff these pieces with the thick paste made by mixing the fine paste with the powdered ingredients.
- Cook on steam till tender.
- Place a saucepan on a low heat and heat 1 tbsp ghee.
- Transfer the cooked bitter gourd pieces to the saucepan and pour the remaining ghee over them.
- Fry them on both sides till they become crisp and brown in color.
- Serve with idlies, rice or chappatis as preferred.